Work with us: ILGA Asia is looking for a Communication and Membership Officer
Location: Bangkok, THAILAND
Application Deadline: Friday, 29th June 2018 (23.59 ICT)
Languages Required: English
Starting Date: 1 August 2018
Duration of Initial Contract: 3 months on probation followed by a 9-month contract
ILGA - THE INTERNATIONAL LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL, TRANS AND INTERSEX ASSOCIATION is the world federation of national and local organisations dedicated to achieving equal rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex (LGBTI) people across the globe. Established in 1978, ILGA enjoys consultative status at the UN Ecosoc Council. It speaks and lobbies in international fora on behalf of more than 1,200 member organisations from 132 countries.
ILGA Asia is the Asian Region of ILGA, representing more than 100 member organizations in Afghanistan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, China, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, India, Indonesia, Islamic Republic of Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Oman, Palestine, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Syrian Arab Republic, Taiwan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, United Arab Emirates, Viet Nam and Yemen.
ILGA Asia Regional Conference is the highest level decision making body of ILGA Asia, taking place every other year, alternating with the ILGA World Conference.
Our vision is a world where Asia is a safe place for all, where all can live in freedom and equality, be properly informed in the nature of sexual orientation and gender identity & expression and bodies (SOGIEB) rights, have access to justice, and diversity is respected.
Our missions are:
1 To promote universal respect for and observance of human rights and fundamental freedoms, including the elimination of all forms of discrimination and stigmatization based on (SOGIEB) in Asia and including the specific provisions of the UN conventions and covenants specified in the constitution of ILGA;
2 To work for the equality of all people regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity / expression and bodies, as well as liberation from all forms of discrimination and stigmatization;
3 To empower and support LGBTI communities, organizations and individuals in Asia, while encouraging community building and networking.
In 2016, ILGA Asia opened an office in Bangkok Thailand. ILGA Asia since then has been going through some expansion, which requires a bigger team. The prospective Communications and Memberships Officer is expected to work with the Office Coordinator in the Bangkok office.
Media and Communication
- Implement and contribute to the annual communication plan/strategy
- Maintain ILGA Asia’s digital media i.e website, newsletter and social media channels (currently Facebook and Twitter) by daily monitoring, posting and creating contents.
- Promote ILGA Asia events and activities to the public
- Establish and maintain relationship with journalists and media outlets (tv, radio, web, print)
- Create and maintain a contact list of media reporters and agencies in Asia
- Create, maintain and continuously update a master contact list
- Develop and distribute press releases, Op-Eds and articles to media contacts as scheduled in the communication plan and when needs arise
- Assist ILGA Asia board members to write articles, speeches, statements etc as and when necessary
- Oversee the translation of media contents to different Asian languages
- Create and maintain an archive of media coverage of ILGA Asia in forms of website links, screenshots, newspaper clippings, and audio-visual materials etc.
- Monitor, evaluate and prepare reports on the impact of communication strategy and campaigns
- Develop a style guide, communication guideline and brand image for ILGA Asia and ensure their consistent application
- Keep regular contact with the member organizations by responding to their queries, reaching out to them when necessary, updating them on ILGA Asia’s initiatives and global opportunities etc.
- Create materials to promote ILGA Asia and recruit memberships
- Develop monthly written and multimedia contents featuring member organizations of ILGA Asia and their works
- Bachelor degree in Social Sciences; a degree in Journalism or Media and Communications is preferred
- Strong writing skill in English is a requirement; please submit 3 pieces of writing samples in your application; proficiency in 1 or 2 other Asian languages is an asset
- Prior experience working with the press is required; previous experience working for a news agency or a media company is an advantage
- Basic knowledge of using at least 1 graphic design software is required; knowledge of a publishing tool is an advantage; please submit a piece of design sample that your produced in the past with description attached
- The position is open to people of all gender identities, sexual orientations or sex characteristics; those who identify as a lesbian or bisexual woman, trans person or intersex person are strongly encouraged to apply
- First-hand experience, either as a volunteer or an employee, in an LGBTI organization is highly desirable
If interested in this position, you can download the application pack here. You are required to send the application pack to us as instructed in the file to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, 29thJune 2018 (23.59 ICT).